Saturday, September 25, 2010

Meet Author Caroline Clemmons

I met Caroline on-line when I won a copy of TWRP’s civil war anthology, Northern Roses and Southern Belles. She wrote a short story titled “Long Way Home,” and I loved it so much I e-mailed her and told her. That message turned into an enjoyable friendship, as well as, a professional one. Since I know and admire her writing, I invited her to be my guest. My first question concerned her history in writing, her first published novel, and if she still loved the book.

She answered, “I began writing about 1990 to 1992. My first published novel was a contemporary, BE MY GUEST, published in 1998 by Kensington for their ill-fated Precious Gems line. I hate that book for several reasons, but am thankful it made me a published author and a member of RWA PAN. It’s sold in numerous foreign countries and been good to me financially.”

I guess I understand, but if a book was good for me financially, I might conjure up a little love! But let’s continue. There’s a commercial on TV that sings, “And that’s what I like about Tex…as!” If someone wrote a song about you with that same title, what three things would we like about Caroline Clemmons? Come on now; don’t be shy.
 “Only three when there is so much of me to love? What can I say? I’m on a diet. [1] My writing, I hope! [2] My sense of humor. [3] That I’m friendly.”

I love your answers! Now, just for fun, I like to check my (theoretical) biorhythms occasionally on a little internet chart. In percentages, it measures my physical, emotional, and intellectual levels for that day. In your life, on an average day, which of the three would be the highest overall and which would be your lowest?

“Lawsy, I hope you’re measuring after ten in the morning! Oh, I don't mean I sleep until ten. I get up early and can even check email, drive to a meeting, do laundry, etc., but I'm pretty much on autopilot. At ten o'clock the other part of my brain wakes up--sproing!--and I'm a person. Whoever recognized biorhythms was a genius. I often listen to chakra tapes while I write, so I hope my chakras are aligned, at least. I am so not a morning person. My physical peak is from about ten in the morning until noon, and sometimes into early afternoon until about three. My intellectual peak is from eight in the evening until midnight. My emotional peak—do I have one of those? Hmm, it’s possible it’s aligned to my physical peak. Certainly, I’m more optimistic at that time.”

It seems you understand yourself pretty well, and I should think that would be useful for all authors. Speaking of authors, they fall into one of two categories: risk-takers or easy-does it. Which are you? Can you explain?

“I suspect I’m an easy-does-it. Could be it depends on what mood I’m in at the instant an idea occurs to me. Not that I’m moody. No, who said I was?”

Don’t worry. I know you’re an even-tempered, lovely lady. So tell me, what are three best things that have happened to you recently?

“My family is safe and supportive. My thyroid cancer is—hopefully—gone. Two of my books were published this year.”

And those would make anyone happy. I had no idea you had a health problem, but then you don’t talk about yourself like I do! Let’s move on to your newest release, The Texan’s Irish Bride, newly released by The Wild Rose Press. Why did you choose an Irish bride? What do you know of the Irish in Texas in the nineteenth century?

“I love Ireland! Not that I’ve lived there, but my husband and I have traveled there twice. We would both be ready in under an hour if someone offered us a return trip. While we were driving from one point to another, our wonderful tour guide commented on the landscape and its history. So many things fascinated me, like the penny walls, the stone fences, the intense green of the landscape, and…well, everything Irish.


Many Irish fought in the battle with Mexico for Texas Independence. My family is mostly of Scot-Irish ancestry, so I identified with this country. They are so friendly to Americans because so many of us are of Irish ancestry. The immigration to Texas began in the late 18th century, but accelerated in the 19th century with the Potato Famine. We have no idea how hard life was there even before the famine. But during the famine, hundreds of thousands of poor literally starved to death while the English were eating well. I can say this since I also have English ancestors—the English wouldn’t allow Irish children to attend schools, hence the “hedge row” schools for Irish children to learn to read and write. If caught, though, the teacher and the parents would be jailed for breaking the law. So, many illiterate Irish made their way to America and drifted to Texas. Many settled here.

In the book, most of the Irish are Irish Travelers, also known as tinkers. They aren’t gypsies because they are of pure Irish lineage, but they are often confused with gypsies due to the wagons in which they traveled. The heroine and her family are not Irish Travelers, but they are traveling with a band of them. When turned off their land in Ireland, the heroine and her O’Neill family were forced to leave with only what they could carry. The Travelers took them in and they made their way to America with the lure of free land. How they arrived and how they traveled to Texas is something you’ll have to learn by reading the book. Aren’t I devious, though?”

Well, yes, but I love your honestly! I learned facts I never knew, and I see why you’re so fascinated with the Irish. Visiting Ireland is on my Bucket List, by the way. And guess what, Caroline? I just read a review for The Texan’s Irish Bride from The Romance Studio, and she gave this novel Five Hearts! And…a Top Pick from Night Owl Reviews. Isn’t that exciting? I know it a great story, and you know how I feel about the cover—it’s gorgeous.

One more question: In a one-sentence blurb, tell us about The Texan’s Irish Bride.

“Texas rancher is forced to wed an Irish woman and inherits her entire family.”

Excellent. Now, do you have a blurb for us?
“Cenora Rose O’Neill knows her father somehow arranged the trap for Dallas McClintock, but she agrees to wed handsome stranger. She’d do anything to protect her family, and she wants to save herself from the bully Tom Williams. A fine settled man like Dallas will rid himself of her soon enough, but at least she and her family will be safely away from Tom Williams.
Texas rancher Dallas McClintock has no plans to wed for several years. Right now, he’s trying to establish himself as a successful horse breeder. Severely wounded rescuing Cenora from kidnappers, Dallas is taken to her family’s wagon to be tended. He is trapped into marrying Cenora, but he is not a man who goes back on his word. His wife has a silly superstition for everything, but passion-filled nights with her make up for everything. Ah, but what is he to do with a wife and her wild Irish family?”

How about an excerpt, too?
“Dallas raised his gaze where Aoife directed. Four girls danced, but only one drew his attention. Shoulders straight and feet flying, Cenora met his glance, then broke away from the other dancers to perform only a few yards from him.
Catcalls sounded nearby. She ignored them but gave a toss of her head. Her hair had come unbound, and her act sent her fiery hair awhirl. Light from the blazing campfire cast an aura-like radiance around her. Lantern glow overhead reflected her eyes sparked with merriment, challenge, and something mysterious he couldn’t name.
No longer the delicate china doll, her wild beauty called to him, mesmerized him. He visualized her brilliant tresses spread across a pillow, her milky skin bared only for him. His body responded, and savage desire shot through him. Surprised at the depth of his reaction, he wondered if her performance in bed would parallel the unbridled nature of her dance.
Good Lord, could this glorious woman truly be his wife? And if so, heaven help him, what on earth was he to do with her?”

Buy link is www.thewildrosepress/caroline-clemmons-m-638.html
Website: http://www.carolineclemmons.com/  

Caroline, thanks for remembering the Buy Link and your website. I appreciate your visit this morning, and I wish you much success with this wonderful story. I know it will do well.

“Celia, thank you so much for having me as your guest today. I’ve really enjoyed the visit.”

Thank you again, and readers, thank you for visiting, and please leave a message for Caroline. She loves to visit!

Celia Yeary-Romance...and a little bit 'o Texas
http://www.celiayeary.blogspot.com/
http://www.celiayeary.com/
New Releases
Texas Promise-eBook-Desert Breeze Publishing
Making the Turn-print & eBook-Wings ePress

26 comments:

  1. Celia, thanks again for having me as your guest. I adore your writing, and can't wait to read your new release, that cover is fabulous. Thanks for the tip about Night Owl reviews. I didn't know about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola, Caroline, mi amiga! I know your book is about the Irish, but...my Spanish just popped out.
    I'm so happy to have you here. The book cover is so gorgeous, I pull up my own blog just to see the cover! It's one of the prettiest I've ever seen.
    Welcome, and sit back and relax. We've done all the work. Now we wait for some visitors. Celia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celia, you were right--THE TEXAN'S IRISH BRIDE is a Top Pick at Night Owl Reviews! Wow, I'm glad I didn't miss out on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caroline and Celia,
    Nice interview.Congratulations on the wonderful reviews, Caroline. I have also visited Ireland and loved it, I too have Irish ancestry.
    Great excerpt,The Texan's Irish Bride, was already on my To buy list, but I have just pushed it up to the top of my list.

    Regards

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Caroline. Good to know more about you. I love this book cover and am planning to read it asap. Your hubby gave me directions for loading it into my kindle which I need to focus on whenever I'm able to do that. I'm beginning to think I should have gotten a Sony ereader. :(
    Anyway, lovely interview and high five to you on all your success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview Celia. And Caroline, congrats on surviving thyroid cancer and on such good reviews of The Texan's Irish Bride. The cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Celia, what a nice interview! Thanks for bringing Caroline to use today. :)

    Caroline, I thought I'd read all your books but I haven't read your contemporary. You're a very talented writer and I'm looking forward to reading your current release, which I'm sure was written in your nice, tidy office. Good health to you and you write many, many more wonderful books!


    Jacquie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Caroline! Great interview. Loved getting to know more about you. The blurb was very intriguing, and I loved the excerpt. I may have to add this one to my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview, Ladies. Carolina, your book sounds delicious and I love the set-up. Just the idea of a cowboy inheriting an Irish family makes me smile.

    The blurb hooked me. My TBR pile just got a bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caroline and Celia,
    Enjoyed your interview! Love the cover of your book, Caroline. I'm looking forward to reading it again. :-) I've always loved your stories. Congrats on the wonderful book reviews. Well deserved!
    *Hugs*
    Jeanmarie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating interview, ladies! I never thought about all those peaks. I suppose it would be best if they all meshed at the same time, but in my case, I don't think they do. All the best to both of you, and many happy sales!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview! Congrats on a great book, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent interview. Oh I can't wait to sit down and read The Texan's Irish Bride, I just love the cover and it sounds like such a fun story. I have my copy but am waiting for a quiet weekend where I can read it uninterrupted.

    Congratulations on the wonderful review!

    Nic

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Caroline and Celia,
    I enjoyed the interview. (Celia you certainly have a flair for that!) Caroline it was nice to learn more about you. Hooray on your triumph over cancer. That speaks volumes for you already. Congratulations with your new release and wishing you many more sales.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Caroline and Celia, what a lovely interview. Ireland is a beautiful country, and I loved the atmosphere you created in your excerpt. I could almost hear the fire crackling.
    Thanks for sharing, and - as said by others- that's a cracking book cover.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Caroline and Celia,
    What I admire about this interview, aside from Caroline, and I'm sure I would say that about you, too, Celia, if I knew you, is the fact the tone of the interview is so much more casual and candid than many I've read. Great job, and Caroline, you know I think the cover's gorgeous, and no doubt the whole book is delightfully yummy.
    Bobbye

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Caroline, just reading your excerpt made the wild Irish pop out in me... yep, there's some of that ancestry back there.

    Inheriting a whole Irish family... good lord! Dallas is about to have his world seriously rocked. Let's just hope Genora lives up to her dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ladies, thank you for commenting and your kind words. I hope those of you who have the book will enjoy it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

    Liana, yes, wouldn't it be wonderful if all the biorhythm peaks meshed so we could be at our top performance?

    Savanna, Cenora does live up to her dancing. She just needs time to adjust to ranch life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE the cover, Caroline. The brightness of the colors would draw me, but the heroine is amazing. I can't write early in the morning either, my muse takes a while longer to wake. ;)

    I understand your feeling for Ireland as I feel the same for Scotland. We spent 23 days there three years ago and I'd be on the first plane to Glasgow if someone said I had a place to live.

    Best of luck with lots of sales.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely cover and sounds like a great book.
    I'm a morning person myself, but my blood pressure medicine interferes a bit by making me draggy after I take it at breakfast. Once I'm past that, I can think again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Caroline,
    Congratulation on the release of, "The Texans's Irish Bride!" Fabulous cover! I'm so glad you're health is good, that's truly a blessing. And, I'm blessed with your friendship. Take care and I wish you continued success! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm late visiting but I wouldn't have wanted to miss this interesting interview.Caroline, I love your book cover and all the information about Ireland. I've always wanted to visit there. Your excerpt and blurb were enticing and I think they will bring you many sales. And all those great reviews won't hurt sales either! I can related to thyroid problems. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and can't do without my thyroid pill every day. But that's mild compared to your problem. It was so nice meeting you here today and of course, Celia, dear friend, I'm always happy to visit your blog. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on the release, Caroline, and Hi, Celia.
    Late again, but I thoroughly enjoyed the interview and the book blurb and excerpt. Looks like a great read. Also so happy to hear you are cancer-free. Wishing you many sales and best of health.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great excerpt, Caroline! This sounds like another winner! Out of the Blue was awesome!

    Good luck with your latest release!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all for visiting with me and Caroline today. We appreciate the comments, and I hope you'll remember Caroline's new book. Think: "Gorgeous Cover--Caroline Clemmons." Celia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting interview, Celia. Caroline's witty personality really came through. Anything Irish intrigues me, and when you mix that with a Texas cowboy, what a combo! This plot sounds like one of a kind.

    Speaking of biorythms, I used to figure mine and my friends, and make the charts with colored pencils. That was three decades ago. But, still, when I have a really good or bad day, I'll figure it. It's strangely accurate.

    And it also takes me until 10 a.m to really wake up. My energy lasts until two, then I drag again. At 9 p.m. I'm re-charged and ready to clean house...literally.

    ReplyDelete